Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Week 8 | Week 9 | Week 10
Select lecture materials and notes will be posted here
after lectures have occurred at the end of each week. These can be used as a comprehension check.
Week 1: What Is Philosophy?
- Class Ethos: "You can do the very best you can when you're very, very relaxed. No matter what your job is. The more relaxed you are, the better you are." — Bill Murray, Actor
- Course topics:
- What is science?
- What do scientists do?
- What is a scientific theory?
- What is a theoretical entity?
- What makes a good explanation?
- Mentioned in lecture (optional material)
Week 2: Samir Okasha, John Ziman
Week 3: Karl Popper
Week 4: Rudolf Carnap
Week 5: Hilary Putnam, N. R. Hanson, W. T. Stace
Week 6: Stephen Toulmin
- Guidelines for 20-point portion of Group Project
- Maxwell paragraph-by-paragraph summary as:
- Matheson and Kline paragraph-by-paragraph summary as:
- Lecture Slides as HTML and a Google Doc.
Truth & Explanation online and as a PDF.
- Study Guide for Test 2